What is an audiologist?

Audiologists work with clients to help them to preserve, manage and improve their hearing, their ability to process and understand sounds, and their balance.  Audiologists help clients of all ages - from infants to older adults - and clients with complex needs improve their ability to communicate and interact in all situations.

What services do audiologists provide?

They can help you find out what could be better

Audiologists can assess:
     - hearing and auditory function;
     - vestibular (balance) function;
     - tinnitus;
     - auditory processing function; and
     - neural function.

They can do this by performing diagnostic tests, including advanced tests using electrophysiological methods. 

They can help you meet your needs and goals

Audiologists provide:
     - aural (re)habilitation;
     - vestibular (balance) (re)habilitation;
     - tinnitus (re)habilitation; and
     - communication training.

They can provide a range of (re)habilitation services including counselling and the prescription and fitting of devices/aids, such as:
     - bone conduction aids;
     - earplugs (custom noise/swim/musician plugs);
     - FM and other remote sensing systems;
     - hearing aids; and
     - hearing assistive technology.

Audiologists have knowledge of implantable devices (e.g. cochlear implants, middle ear implantable hearing aids, fully implantable hearing aids, bone anchored hearing aids) and collaborate with other professionals in their applications in (re)habilitation.

The Scope of Practice for audiologists provides more information about the services that audiologists may offer.

What training do audiologists have?

Audiologists must have completed at least the equivalent of an Australian university Masters-level degree in clinical audiology.  Audiology Australia accredits Masters programs in Audiology and assures that they meet high standards. You can read more about audiologists qualifications and training here.

How can I be sure my audiologist is qualified?

You should book an appointment to see a Full Member of Audiology Australia (MAudA) with a Certificate of Clinical Practice (CCP) or an Audiology Australia Accredited Audiologist to be sure that your clinician:
     - has obtained a qualification that is at least the equivalent of an Australian university Masters-level degree in audiology;
     - has undertaken Audiology Australia’s rigorous clinical internship program;
     - has agreed to abide by the Code of Conduct; and
     - undertakes continuing professional development sufficient to maintain their knowledge and skills.

Click here to download the 'What is an audiologist' flyer