Join Australia’s Audiology Community and be recognised
Be part of the 3400+ Audiology community and access professional services relevant to you at different stages of your career.
Now more than ever, the audiology profession is changing and an Audiologist’s role is growing more complex.
The most successful Audiologists are always looking for ways to stay in touch with industry changes, best practice and innovations.
Audiology Australia is dedicated to improving people’s ability to communicate and interact in everyday settings. We provide professional development, set ethical standards of practice and are a strong, influential advocate.
If you are an overseas qualified Audiologist and would like to practice as an Audiologist in Australia, we encourage you to join our Audiology Community.
We are committed to maintaining the standard and reputation of Audiology in Australia and set the benchmark required by Audiologists to practise in Australia.
As part of your membership application process your qualifications will need to be assessed by Audiology Australia. As on overseas qualified Audiologist, joining Audiology Australia and having your qualifications recognised is a 3 Stage Process.
Pathways to becoming an Audiologist
Stage 1 – Submission of Documentary Evidence (AUD $412.50 assessment fee)
- Completed online application form including all mandatory declarations and:
- A detailed course curriculum comprising an outline of the content of all subjects studied.
- A certified copy of your Academic Transcript of Results.
- A certified copy of your degree certificate.
- A certified copy of your proof of identity (passport, drivers licence, Medicare card, and birth certificate are all accepted as proof of identity).
- A certified copy of change of name documents, where required.
- Evidence within your audiology qualification of at least 200 clinical experience hours involving a range of areas such as paediatric diagnostic assessment, adult diagnostic assessment and aural rehabilitation.
- Evidence of any relevant work experience as an audiologist.
- An original or certified copy of an IELTS Academic Test within the past two years showing you have achieved at least 7 in all four bands: reading, writing, listening and speaking**.
* Certified copy requires that a proper person has personally sighted the original and signs a declaration on the copy to this effect “I have personally sighted the original and this is a fair and true copy”, Signature, Name (print legibly), Date and Authority. (People who are able to do this include: Justices of the Peace, Lawyers, Medical Practitioners, Registered Pharmacists, Bank Managers). Please Note: The Authority of the certifying person must be clearly shown. This will normally be a Registration Number (e.g. GP Medical Practitioner) and/or a business stamp (e.g. Bank Manager).
**Note: This is only required if you have not completed a tertiary qualification in audiology in Canada (except Quebec), Republic of Ireland, South Africa, the United Kingdom or the United States of America. (It is the responsibility of the applicant to cover any costs related to completion of the IELTS Academic Test)
The documentation assessment fee of AUD $412.50.
Note that for all documentation submitted in a language other than English, both the original and a copy that has been translated and certified by a professionally qualified translator must be provided in accordance with Audiology Australia’s Translated Documents Policy
Stage 2 – Overseas Exam (AUD $990 exam fee)
Once your qualifications have been assessed by Audiology Australia you will be notified of the outcome. If successful, you will have the opportunity to sit for the overseas exam. You will be provided with study material to assist you in your preparation for the exam.
Exams are held in April and October each year. The next exams will take place on 17 April 2024 and 16 October 2024.
Upon your acceptance to sit the exam, you will then be required to pay an examination fee of $990.00 to secure your place in the next exam.
The exam consists of one written paper of 3 ½ hours duration. The exam comprises six cases each of equal weighting and examinees must pass a minimum of five of the six cases and achieve an overall mark of 50 % or more to pass the exam.
Exams are held online and can be taken from anywhere in the world. Minimum IT set ups are required to ensure the test can be taken securely.
It is essential that you pass the exam within three attempts to be eligible for membership.
Stage 3 – Membership Acceptance (AUD $625 pro-rata, depending on the time of acceptance)
On acceptance of membership, you will then proceed to become an Audiology Australia Accredited Audiologist. This involves completion of a clinical internship.
On completion of these three stages, you will then proceed to the next stage, accreditation. Accreditation involves completion of an internship program and on completion of this program, you will be an Audiology Australia Accredited Audiologist.
Take the first step and apply to be a member now.